For years Griffin Park, home to Brentford FC since 1904, was arguably London's most beautiful stadium. The floodlights towered over the neighbourhood, the stadium was situated between the back gardens and only from Braemar Road could you really see that football was being played here. However, the stadium was unsuitable for high-level football, so Brentford had wanted to move for years. Subsequently, the legendary stadium had an inglorious end: no legendary farewell match with crying fans in the stands and a legendary last goal, but a stadium kept empty due to the corona crisis. Soon after, the bulldozer came along and now there is nothing left of that fine, Griffin Park.
Griffin Park was known to football fans for having pubs on all four corners of the stadium, each with its own peculiarities and crowd. Unfortunately, one has already disappeared, The Princess Royal, but the other three can still be visited.
Most famous is The Griffin (pictured), the pub on the corner of Braemar Road and Brook Road South that gave the stadium its name, and in the early years even served as a dressing room for Brentford games. The pub is still very popular on match days.
A little further on Brook Road South, at the intersection with New Road, is The Brook pub, the most modern of the four. This replaced the ancient Royal Oak and has now become a trendy bar. Walk up New Road and at the end is The New Inn, an Irish pub that has been here for over 150 years.